Saturday, June 30, 2012

Pity Party Time!

But first: My friend posted this on facebook: http://canyourelate.org/2011/05/24/rape-prevention-tips/
I think it's fantastic because I hate it when people play the blame the victim game and there's always tips given to women to keep themselves from getting raped (I think I first got these tips in Middle School and they seriously never go away), but no one ever gives these tips out to men or other possible rapists. I think these should be required in the high school health class hand outs as well. Maybe I'll start a petition. Who's with me?

Now the pity party! (feel free to skip if you so wish)
I'm totally going through withdrawal right now. I miss New York a whole lot and being able to hop on the subway to bypass traffic or walk around the corner to get a really good, cheap meal.  Chicago's great and I'm really enjoying my time here, but my god there's no place like NYC. I feel bad for not liking Chicago as much as I think I should, and I think I would be liking it better if I came here before I went to New York, but it's currently competing with two of the greatest weeks of my life and that's tough. Springboard changed my life. It taught me so many new things and rekindled that passion for performing that I let drain a little bit. It gave me the full confidence to stand up and announce: I am an actor. Chicago is not giving me anything new like that. Yes, I'm learning how devised shows work, which is pretty awesome, but it's currently being overshadowed by mediocre public transportation and that some people have the inability to show up on time to places.

I'm probably being over-dramatic. I have only been here a week and I have learned some pretty neat things. I'm sure I'll get accustomed to the buses and end up loving this city as well by the time I leave in August.

On a positive note: I'm getting an A in my online course! Woohoo!

1 comment:

  1. Girrrrl, I totally feel you. I am having similar sentiments, although less about NYC and more about The East Coast in general. I miss Chicago a lot:)

    If it makes you feel any better, I spent months after coming back from London (another place I love and desperately wish I could return to) drinking tea and being cranky about St. Louis' lack of decent public transit.
    Well. I say months. If we're being honest here, I definitely still do those things...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments or questions! I like knowing what people think :)