Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 1 of NYC

There is no way to have a normal start to a trip to New York City. I don't really know why I thought it would be normal, but that was a mistake. It started with getting to the airport at 6am, which isn't too bad, just early. Then I went through security with no problems except the TSA security lady decided to take away one of my bins that my stuff was in before I was done with it and proceeded to drop my phone, shoes, and sunglasses on the floor of the airport and instead of apologizing she said: Oh, well, I can't see things when they're all bundled up. BULL SHIT. Next time, you should just try looking at the bins before you snatch them away. Other than that everything else at the airport went smoothly. The only thing I can even think to complain about is the guy sitting in front of me decided it was completely necessary that he lean his chair back the entire flight. It's just a little pet peeve of mine when I'm on a short flight.
Then, I GOT TO NEW YORK CITY. It is big and shiny and dirty and loud and I love it. So, I got to the YMCA and was all ready to check in and get settled and, lo and behold, check isn't until 2:30. At that point it was only 1:15. And so I start to just cry because all the itty bitty things that bugged me finally added up, and I was tired, and I was hungry, and basically there was really no good reason to why I decided I had to cry at that very moment. It was stupid. The guy just told me I could lock up my stuff in the security room so I could go walk around the city and kill some time. So I did. And the security guard guy who locked up my stuff was really sweet and told me about a little cafe around the corner where I could get a coffee and clear my head and "be happy, don't be sad." He was adorable. That's when I realized I was hungry and hadn't eaten since 5am, so I probably needed a sandwich. I got my sandwich and went for a stroll through Central Park and saw a man dressed all in pink wearing a Statue of Liberty crown and riding a hot pink girls bike with streamers. It was perfect.
That's really all I have to say for today so far. Except the rooms are very prison like and the bathrooms are gross, but it's a communal restroom so it's what's expected.
Also, I think the guy at the table next to mine is also part of the Springboard Program. I keep looking over there, but I don't know how to approach him. I'm such a creep. I really should get an award for how much of a creeper I can be.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, you made it!
    I'm pretty sure you get a little extra creepness quota when you're in someplace like New York. I'd bet the tolerance is just a little bit higher than average. Or maybe lower, depending on where you are...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments or questions! I like knowing what people think :)