Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A bit about the last 2 weeks...

So I definitely dropped the ball on posting about Springboard. I apologize for anyone who was actually looking forward to those! Hopefully I can slowly recap about the shows and people once I get to Chicago!
Overall though, SpringboardNYC was an incredible experience and I am so incredibly thankful that I got the opportunity to attend. I met so many wonderful people that I plan on staying in contact with for a very long time. I know that they would be willing to lend me a hand when I needed it as I would for them. There were 37 of us and EVERYONE was nice, and kind, and talented, and excited, and I miss them all so much and it hasn't even been a week! I don't even think there are enough adjectives for me to accurately describe how great everyone was/is.
General things I learned at Springboard:
1. Be nice/kind to everyone. But not fake nice. be genuinely nice.
2. Everyone is on their own path. You can't compare your path to someone else's because that's just not fair to anyone.
3. Say YES, AND. Otherwise known to say yes to everything, even if it doesn't pay.
4. On that note: Don't be afraid to say NO.
     - Do the stomach ache test, if something doesn't feel right to you, don't do it.
5. Be yourself.
     - trying to be someone else isn't going to get you very far at all because people will see right through that.
     - don't cut off your comet tail.
6. Your job is not being in shows. Your job is AUDITIONING.
     - seriously. getting in a show is like a yearly bonus.
     - if you don't love auditioning, you're going to want to learn to.
7. The theatre community is TINY.

And finally, you can't be afraid to put yourself out there. The people on the other side of the table want you to do well, your family wants you to do well, your friends want you to do well. You just have to be yourself and be kind because that's how people will know if they want to work with you. If you think it's cool to make fun of people based off their facebook pictures or the shoes they wear and then try to be all smiley at them to their faces, that won't fly. It will bite you in the butt because the theatre community is tiny. Everyone knows everything. Seriously, follow the 6 block rule and then add on another mile and put a locked door between you and the public before you say anything.

Ok. that's all for now. I honestly don't even know how much of this post makes sense because I'm still not done being exhausted. Maybe that'll happen when I'm done packing/unpacking? Maybe?

1 comment:

  1. Deja vu! You know you've been taught well when everyone is getting the same sort of message from their mentors :). AH. Every time I read something about those 2 weeks I get so nostalgic..or maybe it's just I get crazy-excited for the future!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments or questions! I like knowing what people think :)