Thursday, June 28, 2012

A bit about Collaboraction

I have officially started my internship at Collaboraction theatre in Chicago. I have been in the office three times and I have already made curtains, been offered a position as a possible understudy (didn't end up happening, oh well!), found props, attended meetings, been given research projects, etc. . It's been nuts. I love days off.
Currently, Collaboraction is doing their Sketchbook series that they put up every summer and it is really incredible. It's a series of five productions that run up to 60 minutes each, with visual art placed throughout the playing space and "surprise" guest musicians every once in a while. I've only been able to see two of the productions, but even with just those two, I have laughed, cried, been inspired and have been pushed to contemplate things I've never thought about before. It has been a very new and different theatrical experience than what I've been exposed to before. It's intimate and innovative and definitely risky. There's an integration of music and movement, with projections and use of space that makes it a memorable experience. Matter of fact, the piece that had me in tears, Untitled 862, had no dialogue: just movement, dance, and music. It was beautiful. So anyway (shameless plug about to happen) if you're in Chicago, come see some Sketchbook shows because they're awesome.
Also, the people at this place are so friendly and nice. I've met a handful of other interns and everyone seems to be excited to be here and they want to make theatre accessible and entertaining to the public. It's pretty awesome.
Overall, Chicago is a success. The only complaint I have is public transportation is really slow and closes way too early in comparison to New York. But then again, I think this city actually sleeps. Who knew!

Also, we still don't have internet. I'm becoming good friends with the local cafe bar-istas and am longing to watch some Arrested Development via Netflix or Hulu. I guess this gif will just have to do for now... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments or questions! I like knowing what people think :)